Kanashimi
loop.exe
LordSkyy
msolz
TheCrownClown
wizzitje
==
Help us to open new bots!
Click this link to check the advantages donators have.

Share | 

Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wizzitje
Captain
Captain

Activity Points : 36331
Awards :

x5

PostSubject: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sat 16 Jul - 23:06

check the offer and tell me what you think.

(options left, price right)

and sorry its dutch

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
jk2pach
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Activity Points : 30801

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sat 16 Jul - 23:19

Decent is the word: nothing special. I even find the graphic card and the hard drive quite poor. Of course, a laptop is after all made for tools/softwares, not for gaming Smile

Captain

Awards :

x5

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sat 16 Jul - 23:37

true but a gaming laptop usually costs like 500-600 more, and it usually has a lot of extra decorations (alienware for example)

and a 3gb videocard doesn't seem to bad compared to 4-5gb bieng the current standard in ''gaming computers''

nvm i ''studied'' a bit at how videocards work in speed and shizzle, its indeed very low with the amount of core process it has.

any1 got a nice brand with nice computers/laptops which have decent gaming capabilities? and around 800-1200 euro?

Back to top Go down
jk2pach
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Activity Points : 30801

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sun 17 Jul - 0:19

Laptop: I do not know. Computer: the point is that make your own computer seems way better (price/quality) than buying a read-to-use one, if you are looking for raw power. Of course, if it's for regular use, then...Check guides over the web Wink

I personnaly would say: do not buy anything made by Toshiba; their products are definitely not made for gaming but for office automation. More, they add to your computer dozen useless tools making a waste of CPU resources.

And remember than in any ready-to-use computer, you also buy the pre-installed softwares (os, office, antivirus, etc...)

Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2631

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sun 17 Jul - 0:20

I don't see any problems with that set up, the graphics card is decent enough, you can play most games on high settings without worrying, only the extremely graphics intensive games like Metro 2033 will give it hiccups, but otherwise, the graphics card is fine overall.

The hard drive is not that big of an issue either, chances are, if you have a decent laptop, you will also have some sort of external hard drive, just get a 500 gb - 1 tb external and you're set. Externals are very cheap these days.

Edit:
I'm assuming you're getting a laptop because of mobility issues. If that's the case, while building your own laptop is doable, its significantly harder than building your own desktop, parts are harder to find, choices are fewer, and you need a steady hand to deal with small screws and the tight confines of a portable case. If that's not the case, then I also highly recommend you to build your own desktop, it will definitely be better in terms of cost-performance ratio.
Back to top Go down
wizzitje
Captain
Captain

Awards :

x5

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sun 17 Jul - 1:07

jk2pach wrote:
Laptop: I do not know. Computer: the point is that make your own computer seems way better (price/quality) than buying a read-to-use one, if you are looking for raw power. Of course, if it's for regular use, then...Check guides over the web Wink

I personnaly would say: do not buy anything made by Toshiba; their products are definitely not made for gaming but for office automation. More, they add to your computer dozen useless tools making a waste of CPU resources.

And remember than in any ready-to-use computer, you also buy the pre-installed softwares (os, office, antivirus, etc...)

funny that you mention toshiba.... im using 1 right now :<

and yes im using a laptop because i travel between school/moms house/dads house a lot, and my moms house doesnt have a ''decent'' computer in it besides my laptop (some old windows 2000 comp is downstairs lol), and my dad only has laptops (kinda got the buying laptops from him).

and i cant say that i do not enjoy laying on the couch with a mouse on a chair to the right and a TV + laptop screen in front of me.

the things im mostly looking for are a good processor and a good/epic videocard. the amount of GB on the hard drive doesnt rlly matter as i can buy more anyway.

Back to top Go down
oufty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2482

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sun 17 Jul - 1:51

Back to top Go down
wizzitje
Captain
Captain

Awards :

x5

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sun 17 Jul - 2:03

oufty wrote:
wanna dream a bit wizzitje ?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m18x/pd.aspx

alienware is useless, a 2000 euro laptop there is around as good as any 1200-1500 laptop that you can either setup yourself or buy at any company that sells customized laptops.

the thing is that you pay around 500 euro for the decoration consisting neon around the keys and your name engraved into the computer and that kind of things. (and ofc for the brand itself)

Back to top Go down
oufty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2482

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sun 17 Jul - 3:10

nah wizzitje ur wrong, it's a +6000 euros laptop
Back to top Go down
patiodadyo19
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 2616

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sun 17 Jul - 11:04

a agree with jk2pach's original response, its not bad but it doesn't stand out.

if you want a something for gaming you want to go manufacturer and request a gaming oriented laptop.<--usually you cant do this unless you know some in the industry

heres my current build if you want a (cheap?) tower build

Spoiler:

Last edited by patiodadyo19 on Sun 17 Jul - 14:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brickwall
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2631

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sun 17 Jul - 13:54

If you are going to fork out that much money you might as well go with an Elitebook. They got military grade computer casing. You have a good deal of options to choose from for what you want inside it. But I recommend that you get their best battery. If you can't find it then ask for it. It gives really long battery times. They say 30+ hours. Not sure what they are doing with the computer during those hours, but I am sure they define them more or less the same as all other companies(to their own benefit).

And patio's build is not cheap. I recommend the Core i5 2500k, in that price range or any higher price range there is no CPU with better performance per dollar for gaming. Core i5 is not cheap either. If I were to only give one advice it would be to pay attention to the PSU and cooling you buy. Important for the lifespan. It is kind of hard to "fail" in the other areas when you buy. I do not think any price range has any CPU, harddrive, gfx card etc that is actually Bad (for its price). It is just that you may be able to find better. In the PSU and cooling area you can actually fail.

Finding good advice for gfx cards and CPUs is really easy. Google for "best value", "bang per buck" or some such. Several places do price range recommendations. They are mostly pretty similar in their recommendations.

I actually have no clue about the performance of the laptop CPUs, (other than llano, fusion and atom). But I am going to make a wild guess and say i5 is a good choice for gaming there too. If you do not want to save money then maybe put more money into the gfx card or SSD instead.
Back to top Go down
patiodadyo19
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 2616

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   Sun 17 Jul - 14:48

[quote=
And patio's build is not cheap. I recommend the Core i5 2500k, in that price range or any higher price range there is no CPU with better performance per dollar for gaming. Core i5 is not cheap either. [/quote]

i agree its not cheap but the reason i went for an i7 and not an i5 is because i am making this computer for the future.

depending on what you want (i take it were all assuming you want a mainly high end gaming laptop) i recommend http://www.falcon-nw.com/ and use there custom configure the main downside to this is that these computers are not cheap what so ever but there are damn good last you a good couple of years if you take care of it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?   

Back to top Go down

Does this seem like a decent laptop to you guys?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1