Kanashimi
loop.exe
LordSkyy
msolz
TheCrownClown
wizzitje
==
Help us to open new bots!
Click this link to check the advantages donators have.

Share | 

Combat Engineer Guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TWPC920
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2578

PostSubject: Combat Engineer Guide   Tue 14 Jun - 16:52

COMBAT ENGINEER

The Combat Engineer is a extremely versatile class, capable of dealing damage, setting up defenses for an area, and even repairing various mechanical items. This guide is specifically geared for Umbrella mode.

Pros:
-High burst-damage shotgun that can be raised to obscene levels of damage with Armor Piercing Ammo
-Innate Energy Generator helps him save an item slot for more important items and provides increased energy regeneration.
-Capable of setting up sentry guns and various defensive mechanisms to help defend an area.

Cons:
-Shotgun is fairly short-ranged, will be a liability when facing Umbrella soldiers face on.
-Shotgun is also fairly slow in attack speed, but this can be remedied somewhat with the acquisition of an SA Combat Shotgun item.
-Low ammunition count per magazine, you will find yourself reloading very often, unless you've turned on safeties for your gun and let sentry guns do the killing.

Skills:
-Constricting Net

Binds a target enemy and squeezes it, immobilizing it and damaging it. Damage and the amount of time the net is in place increases with each level.
Level 1: 4 seconds 16 damage per second 20 second cooldown 25
energy cost
Level 2: 5 seconds 22 damage per second 19 second cooldown 25
energy cost
Level 3: 6 seconds 28 damage per second 18 second cooldown 25
energy cost
Level 4: 7 seconds 34 damage per second 17 second cooldown 25
energy cost
Level 5: 8 seconds 40 damage per second 16 second cooldown 25
energy cost

-Cluster Rockets

Blasts mini rockets out of your suit which scatter and explode, dealing damage to units in the radius. Damage, cooldown, area, rocket amount, range, and stun duration improve with each level.
Level 1: 700 damage 30 second cooldown 39 energy cost
Level 2: 1000 damage 29 second cooldown 38 energy cost
Level 3: 1300 damage 28 second cooldown 37 energy cost
Level 4: 1600 damage 27 second cooldown 36 energy cost
Level 5: 1900 damage 26 second cooldown 35 energy cost
-Critical Shot

Critical shot gives a chance to deal extra damage when firing your weapon. This skill is essential to ensure maximum damage can be dealt to moderate and large hostiles. Additional points increase the damage multiplier.
Level 1: 10% chance 1.5x damage
Level 2: 15% chance 2.0x damage
Level 3: 20% chance 2.5x damage
Level 4: 25% chance 3.0x damage
Level 5: 25% chance 3.5x damage
Level 6: 30% chance 4.0x damage
Level 7: 35% chance 4.5x damage
Level 8: 35% chance 5.0x damage

-Engineering Skills

Combat Engineers are taught advanced engineering and demolition skills for their deployment in the field. This is an extra set of skills.

* Level 1 - Learns Repair

This skill is used for repairing all kinds of mechanical things. This includes M70 Sentry guns, Tanks, APCs, Barricades, and Helicopters.
Repairs 9 hitpoints every .25 seconds.
Costs 2 energy per cast.

* Level 2 - Learns Paralysis Trap

Places a Trap that detonates after a period of time and damages and zombies. All units hit by the trap get pushed back. Does not hurt allies, but will push them.
Deals 500 damage in a 225 radius and 200 damage in a 400 radius.
10 second cooldown. Costs 15 energy per cast.

* Level 3 - Learns C4, Detonate, and Detonation Cord

The Engineer may place C4s. They must be primed with the Detonation Cord ability before they can be detonated. All primed C4s are detonated at the same time with the Detonate ability. An Engineer can only have 4 C4s at any given time.
Deals 450 incendiary damage in a 350 radius. Can place a maximum
of 5 C4s.
5 second cooldown. Costs 20 energy per C4.

* Level 4 - Learns Barricade, and Sentry Gun

The Engineer can set up Barricades and Sentry Guns.
Barricades have 600 hitpoints and deal 3-6 normal damage. Can
place a maximum of 14 barricades.
20 second cooldown. Costs 30 energy per barricade.

Sentry Guns have 350 hitpoints and deal 134-162 machine gun
damage. Can create 2 sentry guns. However if you have one sentry
gun item in inventory, you can place that after placing the two sentry
guns from your skill to have 3 sentry guns under your control.
5 minute cooldown. Costs 125 energy per sentry gun.

* Level 5 - Learns Energy Generator and Satchel Charge

Improves the Engineer's energy regeneration rate. The combat engineer can also plant Satchel Charges. Satchel Charges must be primed with Detonation Cord skill to explode. Upon priming, the Satchel Charge automatically explodes after 5 seconds.
Deals 18000 damage in a 1200 radius. Can place a maximum of 1
satchel charge.
2 minute cooldown. Costs 180 energy per satchel charge.

Skill Selection:
The first thing any worthwhile combat engineer does is to turn on his riflebutt. I have seen many new combat engineer fall prey to fragile zombies simply because he was trapped and forgot to turn on rifle butt. Remember, riflebutt can save your life.

Level 1: Cluster Rocket
Cluster rocket is gotten at level one because in Umbrella, having a simple area-nuke skill is extremely useful. Simply launching a cluster rocket in the direction of the Umbrella troops is enough to stop them from attacking and force them to move out of the targeted area.

Cluster Rocket is not really needed to be leveled beyond level one in the early stages of Umbrella Mode because no Umbrella foot soldier is capable of withstanding a level one Cluster Rocket.

Level 2-3: Engineering Skills
You want to level Engineering Skills as fast as you can to get the ever useful sentry guns up and running. At level one, Engineering Skills is near useless in the early game unless you have a Global Hawk on your team.

Paralysis Trap is fairly useful if you are being chased by a slow moving Pudge. This skill both damages and pushes offending zombies back in a circular area, allowing you to make your escape. a good way to use this is to place one on a ramp of a hill, run up the hill, then when the zombies are about to attack you, leap off the hill so that as they move back down the hill they are hit by the delayed detonation of the paralysis trap.

Level 4: Constriction Net or Engineering Skills
Constriction Net is gotten early simply to make incoming Pudges easier to deal with. Depending on the situation, you might not even need to put a point into this skill. However, as many people will tell you, every little bit of movement impediment helps in fighting a Pudge. So if you see a incoming pudge and you got a skillpoint to spend, put one in Constriction Net and immobilize that Pudge!

If you didn't level Constriction Net, you should level Engineering Skills again. At level 3 of Engineering Skills, you can create C4s. C4s are extremely useful as they can be used as walls to block off narrow paths. An example of this is the ramp leading up to North Hill, a couple of well placed C4s can be used to completely deny North Hill to zombies. The best part about C4s is that unlike Explosive Charges, they will not be set off by Boomer explosions. However, you must still watch out for Umbrella soldiers, these guys can riflebutt your C4s and unlike Explosive Charges, C4s do not explode unless manually primed and detonated.

Level 5-6: Engineering Skills
At level 4 of Engineering Skills, you are given access to Sentry Guns. A good engineer will always keep an eye on his sentry gun's ammo counter (the energy). Sentry Guns are a key part of any worthwhile defense. A set of well placed Sentry Guns will do more damage than the Engineer's own damage output. Remember to leave some magazines on the ground next to the sentry guns so that you can quickly refill their ammo simply by having the sentry guns pick them up.

When you reach Engineering Skills level 5, you gain the ever useful passive skill Energy Generator and the devastating Satchel Charge. Energy Generator simply improves your energy regeneration rate, and can be stacked with the item based Energy Generator. However I find myself never needing the extra Generator. Give the item to another class that needs it more and save yourself an item slot for a more important item.

Satchel Charge is a very situational skill, and it is very rarely used in Umbrella Mode, simply because the Umbrella troops will never let you get close enough to use it or prime it. Nevertheless, Satchel Charges can still be used to some effect in Umbrella mode as an Anti-Pudge/Bonnie and Dolly weapon, once a Pudge or Bonnie and Dolly has been Smoked and Flared, he/she/it is completely immobile, during this time, you can quickly run up to the edge of the smoke grenade area, place a satchel and prime it, then run away. The Pudge will still be in the area of the satchel when it detonates. Bonnie and Dolly will require more flares to make sure they remain in the area, but the same concept can be applied.

Satchel Charges can also be used as an impromptu camera. Since the satchel charge is such a large unit, it automatically gives vision in a medium sized area, making it a permenant camera until it is either rifle butted by an Umbrella soldier or primed. Again, like the C4, Satchel Charges do not explode when riflebutted, and will only explode when primed.

Level 7-14: Critical Hit
I get critical hit late simply because in Umbrella, an Combat Engineer is a liability fighting on the front lines. In fact, if anything the Combat Engineer should not even fire at Umbrella soldiers unless he is absolutely certain they cannot fire back at him. This is purely because of the Engineer's short range. At 1600 range, even the basic Umbrella Rifleman outranges him, and can quickly turn the Combat Engineer into swiss cheese without any trouble. This makes any prospect of fighting Umbrella on flat unobstructed terrain tantamount to suicide.

However, during the times that you absolutely must fight Umbrella soldiers, Critical Hit is invaluable. The Engineer's innate high damage output combined with the Critical Hit multiplier makes it very easy for Engineers to one-shot kill Umbrella soldiers. Critical Hit also allows you to quickly take down anymore Pudges that spawn in the game, Bonnie and Dolly, and allows you to one shot all but the most hardy zombie classes in the game.

Level 15-18: Cluster Rocket
By the time you get to this point, Umbrella should be starting to spawn Helicopters and Tanks against you and your team. To combat this new threat, you need more burst damage output. The solution? The Cluster Rocket. Once you max Cluster Rocket, you can kill Umbrella Helicopters with a single cast, and heavily damage Umbrella Tanks, which you can then finish off with a single blast from your shotgun.

One thing to remember about Cluster Rocket is that its range is actually quite short, at -v 22, the maximum range is about a screen length. Thus, you are still quite vulnerable to Umbrella Marksmen squads, so only move up to fire when you are certain they cannot get a bead on you.

Level 19-25: Constriction Net
The last skill to be leveled is Constriction Net, the reason for this is simple. Constriction Net requires you to be within melee range of the target to immobilize him. The Umbrella forces will never let you within melee range, and even thinking of getting within melee range is suicide. Thus, the only real use Constriction Net has is to restrain Pudges or Bonnie and Dolly.

All skills leveled = Level 25 Combat Engineer

Items:
Good items for Engineer are obviously the SA Combat Shotgun, which improves attack rate by 55% and gives 8 bonus damage. You can find one in one of the two Weapon Caches that spawn in Umbrella Mode. It is in the same Cache as the Interceptor Body Armor. If you find an Aim Assist, give it to another class as the 15% attack speed and 9 bonus damage will not hold a candle to your SA Combat Shotgun.

The next item you should strive for is Armor Piercing Ammunition, which gives Engineers a whopping 125 bonus damage. This raises your damage output significantly and while proned, it is very possible for an Engineer to one-shot Umbrella soldiers without any critical hits.

Any armor you find should be given to the other offensive classes. The reasoning for this is simple, Engineers are supposed to camp and defend, not go out and attack. Thus, Engineers will often be sitting in the back maintaining Sentry Guns and not under fire.

Things to Remember
Although you can only create 2 sentries, you can technically have 3 sentry guns under your control if you have a sentry gun item in your inventory. To do this, set up the two sentrys through the use of your skill. Then finally, place the third sentry using the item in your inventory. Doing this, you can set up a overlapping field of fire that will cut through Umbrella forces like hot knife through butter.

Cluster Rockets are very fast, so this gives little time for Umbrella soldiers to move out of the way. It is far easier to catch multiple Umbrella soldiers in a single well aimed Cluster Rocket attack than with a MGL or HEAT Rocket.

Set up your sentries behind trees, and ground flare/camera your base. This will allow your sentries to fire at enemy targets unobstructed while the enemy will have a hard time trying to locate your sentry and target them.

This is the end of my Combat Engineer Guide geared for Umbrella Mode. If you see any mistakes/have any suggestions, please feel free to comment. =]
Back to top Go down
Hammett_4
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 3032

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Tue 14 Jun - 18:35

i havent played ce for some time but as i recall u cant skill engineered skill before lvl 2.i am not sure for that, but i just comment it for this: At level one, Engineering Skills is near useless in the early game unless you have a Global Hawk on your team.
Also i wouldnt upgrade just crit.i would go 1 lvl crit then 1 cluster rocket etc.at surv and hard mode u will find usefull rockets for stun and mass dmg
Ah and good job,nice guide Smile
Back to top Go down
TWPC920
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Wed 15 Jun - 1:18

Hammett_4 wrote:
i havent played ce for some time but as i recall u cant skill engineered skill before lvl 2.i am not sure for that, but i just comment it for this: At level one, Engineering Skills is near useless in the early game unless you have a Global Hawk on your team.
Also i wouldnt upgrade just crit.i would go 1 lvl crit then 1 cluster rocket etc.at surv and hard mode u will find usefull rockets for stun and mass dmg
Ah and good job,nice guide Smile

What I meant by At level one was that when your engineering skills is level one, you only get the skill repair, which is near useless for an Umbrella game. Not that you should get engineering skills when your character is level one.

And I would agree on alternating between leveling crit/rocket on hard and survival, but this guide is optimized for Umbrella mode. There is no need to upgrade your cluster rocket that early, Tanks and Helicopters usually don't come until your character is about level 15 or 16. Unless you've been dead a lot.

Thanks for your feedback though. =]
Back to top Go down
nqp
Sergeant
Sergeant

Activity Points : 3233
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Wed 15 Jun - 12:24

kinda nice guide but why a engineer stay back ? Smile i always engage the checkpoints with cluster rockets Smile
but i guess it depents in the player ^^
Back to top Go down
TWPC920
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Wed 15 Jun - 13:20

nqp wrote:
kinda nice guide but why a engineer stay back ? Smile i always engage the checkpoints with cluster rockets Smile
but i guess it depents in the player ^^

I should have clarified, Engineers should always stay back in Umbrella mode unless he has an abundance of Ground Flares or Flare Guns. Without those items, the Engineer is just asking to be killed by a squad of wandering riflemen. The simple fact that the Engineer cannot engage Umbrella squads from beyond their firing range makes him a liability in open combat.

However, if the Engineer has good terrain advantages and excellent cameras/ground flares, he can and will take apart Umbrella forces with impunity. Still, when you're attacking Umbrella head on, rarely do you have the terrain advantage, its usually on flat ground and only sparce tree covers to mask your movements, so it will be rare for Engineers to go out and engage Umbrella squads head on.
Back to top Go down
Hammett_4
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 3032

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Wed 15 Jun - 14:18

personally i disagree with your idea of camping even if there is no cams and flares.all u need is a flashlight and not running like mad.once u see a squad u jump behind and throw rockets.pretty sure u will get most(if not all of them)if u have shotgun u can even take out 2-3umb soldiers by only shooting.just remember.dont run like mad through the map.even if u are the best player,u will get yourself killed by an incoming dc squad................sooner or later Smile
Back to top Go down
TWPC920
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Thu 16 Jun - 0:11

Hammett_4 wrote:
personally i disagree with your idea of camping even if there is no cams and flares.all u need is a flashlight and not running like mad.once u see a squad u jump behind and throw rockets.pretty sure u will get most(if not all of them)if u have shotgun u can even take out 2-3umb soldiers by only shooting.just remember.dont run like mad through the map.even if u are the best player,u will get yourself killed by an incoming dc squad................sooner or later Smile

Mmm, different playstyles. I prefer the safe and slow approach. I usually never go out to do the different Umbrella missions unless all the other offensive classes are down. I usually stay back in base to maintain the sentries and set up C4s/barricades.

Not that your method is not valid. I agree, it is very possible to solo Umbrella squads as an Engineer, but it is far more dangerous to do so compared to other classes.
Back to top Go down
Brickwall
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Thu 16 Jun - 1:13

I recommend cluster, engi, cluster, engi, engi, engi, cluster, cluster, cluster, net, net, max crit, max net, last engi.

Critical vs cluster, cluster comes out on top any time. Getting the higher damage and wider AoE makes a big difference. Yes, umb have low hps. But cluster rockets do damage in waves. Higher lvl more waves. Which means umbs walk into it. Someone who uses the shotgun a lot obviously needs critical more than the cluster. I do not even use shotgun item on umb most of the time so critical is a waste early on for me. In zombie mode I get last engineering skill after maxed cluster.

Max cluster no crit wipe out UMB faster than max crit and 1 cluster.

Getting 1 net early is helpful if you are not camping. On rare occations I use satchel as a camera. Other than that I do not need the last lvl of engineering skills. Energy generator is not needed. Even if you use Sentry you still got enough energy left to be useful.

I also play the safe and slow style. Flashlight is more or less only helpful in open areas. Very few of those around.

CE is the easiest class to solo umbrella mode with.
Back to top Go down
wizzitje
Captain
Captain

Activity Points : 36278
Awards :

x5

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Thu 16 Jun - 15:40

Brickwall wrote:
I recommend cluster, engi, cluster, engi, engi, engi, cluster, cluster, cluster, net, net, max crit, max net, last engi.

Critical vs cluster, cluster comes out on top any time. Getting the higher damage and wider AoE makes a big difference. Yes, umb have low hps. But cluster rockets do damage in waves. Higher lvl more waves. Which means umbs walk into it. Someone who uses the shotgun a lot obviously needs critical more than the cluster. I do not even use shotgun item on umb most of the time so critical is a waste early on for me. In zombie mode I get last engineering skill after maxed cluster.

Max cluster no crit wipe out UMB faster than max crit and 1 cluster.

Getting 1 net early is helpful if you are not camping. On rare occations I use satchel as a camera. Other than that I do not need the last lvl of engineering skills. Energy generator is not needed. Even if you use Sentry you still got enough energy left to be useful.

I also play the safe and slow style. Flashlight is more or less only helpful in open areas. Very few of those around.

CE is the easiest class to solo umbrella mode with.

i would always get your last engi lvl first as you get a free Egen then + a satchel which you can place on a hill or behind a tree and blows the @!$! out of every umb running near it.

Back to top Go down
TWPC920
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Thu 16 Jun - 16:07

There are many different playstyles for Engineer, and I'm going to try to make my guide as open-ended as possible to accommodate multiple playstyles. So if any of you guys have any more tips on how you guys play Engineers and your skill point distribution, feel free to chime in.
Back to top Go down
Brickwall
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Thu 16 Jun - 19:13

wizzitje wrote:

i would always get your last engi lvl first as you get a free Egen then + a satchel which you can place on a hill or behind a tree and blows the @!$! out of every umb running near it.

If you want to satchel pudge, swarm, bonnie and dolly on umb, then sure go ahead. But I have never run out on mana on Umbrella mode with combat engineer. Without the innate energy generator. I am sure you can run out if you use, Sentry, cluster, cade, para trap and C4 or some such at the same time. I have just never needed to do that. Biggest combo that might be needed for me is Sentry, cade then umb shows up and you need to cluster.

If I use satchel a lot, I need mana items. Otherwise I need none.
Back to top Go down
wizzitje
Captain
Captain

Activity Points : 36278
Awards :

x5

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Fri 17 Jun - 0:44

Brickwall wrote:
wizzitje wrote:

If you want to satchel pudge, swarm, bonnie and dolly on umb, then sure go ahead. But I have never run out on mana on Umbrella mode with combat engineer. Without the innate energy generator. I am sure you can run out if you use, Sentry, cluster, cade, para trap and C4 or some such at the same time. I have just never needed to do that. Biggest combo that might be needed for me is Sentry, cade then umb shows up and you need to cluster.

If I use satchel a lot, I need mana items. Otherwise I need none.

i guess you never leave the hill eh? anyway if your on the run with a CE its a good idea to spam C4 instead of shooting, its very eazy just use E for placeing it > T for the cord and then D for detonate, takes about 0.5 secs to place so be a lil bit carefull with hounds/gargs behind you though.

Back to top Go down
Brickwall
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Fri 17 Jun - 5:11

wizzitje wrote:

i guess you never leave the hill eh? anyway if your on the run with a CE its a good idea to spam C4 instead of shooting, its very eazy just use E for placeing it > T for the cord and then D for detonate, takes about 0.5 secs to place so be a lil bit carefull with hounds/gargs behind you though.
On umb I try not to leave the base if I play CE. The less time I am in the base the less time I have to prepare the base for last mission. Since I do not play last mission with bravo.

That being said, the games where I can concentrate on the base alone are rare. NCs need cover. Checkpoints need to be cleared. Corpses need to be carried. Helping out with one or more of those is to be expected in games with few players.

And no, I do not use C4. I am not good a clicking. Even for a perfect player placing, cording a C4 takes time. Then the damage is crap and not worth using in zombie mode. Better to just shoot once with shotgun which takes less time and can do more damage. I can see the advantage for a skilled player to use it vs umb soldiers. I can't do that though, the attention needed to watch the C4 would get me killed. If the timing is off the umb soldiers will either avoid the small AoE or riflebutt it. So anyone who uses that tactic impresses me.
Back to top Go down
nqp
Sergeant
Sergeant

Activity Points : 3233
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   Fri 17 Jun - 10:29

well different playstyles ofc
but i dislike the "i just sit on this hill because iam lowrange and i dont wanna risk my fat ass" .. then i can just afking.. but when i join a game.. i want to play

the skills from the CE are also nice to use in umb mode
you can spam c4 on the west way to the north hill satchel hordes .. just spam the skills to take out bad zombie Smile

Quote :
thats how it goes Smile
hotkeys for the win
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Combat Engineer Guide   

Back to top Go down

Combat Engineer Guide
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1