Kanashimi
loop.exe
LordSkyy
msolz
TheCrownClown
wizzitje
==
Help us to open new bots!
Click this link to check the advantages donators have.

Share | 

!autostart

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Is 4 too low?
Yes
25%
 25% [ 3 ]
No
75%
 75% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Activity Points : 23529
Awards :

PostSubject: !autostart   Mon 30 May - 22:50

I have been seeing a lot of admin applications concerning autostart and I would like to know, is 4 really that bad?
Pach (and I agree with him) believes that 4 is enough and I have never needed more than this, personally.

Do people want to become admins just for autostart?
What I am asking, is the autostart too low on UA2?

Keep in mind, when the days aren't full of players you will not get any games in with a higher autostart.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

Once bitten, twice.....zombie
The rset can be a toatl mses and you can slitl raed it whotiut pleborm. Tihs is bseacue the huamn mnid deos not raed eevry lteter by ilsetf, but the wrod as a wlohe.
-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
wizzitje
Captain
Captain

Activity Points : 36213
Awards :

x5

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Mon 30 May - 23:20

depends on the time, in the morning (night for you) 4 is actually to high (2-3 would be better)

but in the evening (day for you vv) 4 is to low and it should be like 6-7,

i would just stay with 4 as 4 is somewhere in the middle of that.

Back to top Go down
mouse.in.a.rage
Private First class
Private First class

Activity Points : 2318

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Mon 30 May - 23:21

What's the viability of changing the autostart for different times of the day and different days of the week? Is it easy enough to do that? Cause if that's possible and not any kind of burden, that's what needs to be done.
Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Mon 30 May - 23:27

wizzitje wrote:
depends on the time, in the morning (night for you) 4 is actually to high (2-3 would be better)

but in the evening (day for you vv) 4 is to low and it should be like 6-7,

i would just stay with 4 as 4 is somewhere in the middle of that.

I agree with 4 as well, but all I see is "i want autostart" so I ask.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

The rset can be a toatl mses and you can slitl raed it whotiut pleborm. Tihs is bseacue the huamn mnid deos not raed eevry lteter by ilsetf, but the wrod as a wlohe.
-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
Dark_Warlock
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Activity Points : 25110
Awards : .

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Mon 30 May - 23:38

Also I agree with 4 ... lower is too low and higher will almost never start.

4 is okay.

My watch only ends when it all ends. I've been here since a long time and I'll be here till the end.
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Activity Points : 22369
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Mon 30 May - 23:54

Think so too. Sometimes there are not enough players but most of the time it works. (except if there are stallers).

Terraria

Currently Doing:
Doing an Actionscript3 Textgame (Flash)

Still doing the above... But the last time I checked this site was gone... what happened?
Back to top Go down
patiodadyo19
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 2498

PostSubject: auto start reason   Tue 31 May - 1:34

the reason i see for people asking is that most people want to go umbrella mode (for xp). they want a full house because they cant do it with four people because they will just die in the 1st ten minutes. they are trying to go strength in numbers kinda deal. 4 people is fine for any mode

Last edited by patiodadyo19 on Tue 31 May - 1:35; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes)
Back to top Go down
Black_Op
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 2625

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 2:31

Four is a pretty good average, but it just doesn't suit peak hours very well. There's certain times of the day where getting 4 people takes around 10 to 20 minutes (worst i've ever seen it), and there's points in the day where getting a full team is possible in around 5 minutes.

The only real problem with 4 people is there's quite a few newer players these days who have no idea what they're doing. If all players have a good idea of what they're doing, 4 is perfectly acceptable for UA2. Unfortunately, you rarely get a game of 4 going where everyone knows what they're doing. I seriously can't emphasize this enough, RARELY.

Also, the new players tend to die right away and leave the 1-2 players who know what they're doing alone. I can honestly say i've had far too many games where i've had to leave in the first 5 minutes because I was the only one left, it's EXTREMELY frustrating. This literally happens 3/5 games, unless an admin is in-game and raised the limit (which they ALWAYS do when they're in-game, because they know it sucks playing with only 4 people).

Although I admit it looks bad having people apply to be an admin for that reason, it really is an inconvenience trying to hold the bot up for enough people to actually enjoy the game.

Also, what do you guys expect out of admins? As far as I can tell they have three roles:

1. Being active enough on the forums to answer questions
2. Banning/kicking players who break the rules on the bot
3. Controlling the bot so people can actually enjoy playing UA2

In fact, the whole "reasons you want to me an admin" thing shouldn't even apply. If anything, it should be based off of what other admins see that person doing in-game/on the forums. That's the only real way to judge someone, unless your judging their grammar?

Now that I think about it, I don't see why there isn't a "group" setup just giving people the ability to adjust the auto start. I can see how you don't want to give full admin powers to many people, but I wouldn't see the issue with giving more people the ability to at least stop the bot from auto going. There's a lot of players who are trustworthy enough to not abuse it, and it would make the game far more enjoyable for people.
Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 3:41

Even though this is far off topic, what do you mean 'controlling the bot' ?

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
Black_Op
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 3:49

Two things:

1. Kicking players who are TKing/breaking other rules (ruining the game).
2. Stopping the bot from going during peak hours so games last more then 5 minutes (letting people enjoy UA2).

Basically, they have enough "control" over the bot to prevent/reduce the usual annoyances you run into when playing games.
Back to top Go down
TWPC920
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2513

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 3:53

Black_Op wrote:
Two things:

1. Kicking players who are TKing/breaking other rules (ruining the game).
2. Stopping the bot from going during peak hours so games last more then 5 minutes (letting people enjoy UA2).

Basically, they have enough "control" over the bot to prevent/reduce the usual annoyances you run into when playing games.

Is it possible to script the bot like that? If it is that would be awesome. It allows the people in the game to actually do something about their predicament without having to wait for admins that aren't always there.
Back to top Go down
Black_Op
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 4:06

TWPC920 wrote:

Is it possible to script the bot like that? If it is that would be awesome. It allows the people in the game to actually do something about their predicament without having to wait for admins that aren't always there.

Well, technically the 1st thing is already in-game (votekick). It's a bit hard to get all of the votes usually, but that seems to be the best option.

The second thing is tricky, but it could definitely be improved on from the current system they have in place. I don't see any reason more people shouldn't be given just enough access to do that. There's plenty of people who are trust worthy enough to be allowed to do that, but perhaps not known well enough among the admins to trust with bans/kicks/forum admin.
Back to top Go down
TWPC920
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2513

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 4:14

Black_Op wrote:
TWPC920 wrote:

Well, technically the 1st thing is already in-game (votekick). It's a bit hard to get all of the votes usually, but that seems to be the best option.

The second thing is tricky, but it could definitely be improved on from the current system they have in place. I don't see any reason more people shouldn't be given just enough access to do that. There's plenty of people who are trust worthy enough to be allowed to do that, but perhaps not known well enough among the admins to trust with bans/kicks/forum admin.

The thing about vote kick is, if there is even one new guy that doesn't know what is going on, the TKer is free to go on killing anyone he sees because that one person won't type !yes. I'm not quite sure what the solution to that would be as making the required votes less would just make it too easy to kick someone for some random trivial reason, but it also makes it impossible to stop any team-killers from doing their stuff.
Back to top Go down
Black_Op
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 4:19

Yes, that is unfortunately true, but there is no perfect solution to everything Sad
Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 6:05

It is also there to prevent unfair votekicks. Say a player is new and he has an item you don't believe he should have, I guarantee a player would look for this to be a reason to votekick Wink Being ignorant isn't a reason to be removed from a game.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
kenzh
Private

Activity Points : 2333

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 8:51

if there was an observer mode where the admin of the bot could join the game at anytime, as an observer to monitor the game. that would be cool.

back to the topic I think 4 is ok. It depends on time of the day and how popular is the game.
1 experienced player and 3 newbs is not a good start for some ppl.
in notdam, the game is kinda dead so it takes forever to fill up to 4
but in ua2 the game fill up pretty fast at 4 ppl but if we could make the bot wait like 2 more minutes we could get 3 more players to join.
but of course it really depends on time of the day.
Back to top Go down
Andx667
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Activity Points : 4591
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 12:18

4 is ok for most games, but with more ppl its easier or more fun
Back to top Go down
nex_
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 7665

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 13:09

4 is OK don't change that.

Maybe when the game should start do not let a 10 sec launch time but a 20, so peaple can leave/rejoin without
having to stress too much
Back to top Go down
wizzitje
Captain
Captain

Awards :

x5

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 13:14

nex_ wrote:

Maybe when the game should start do not let a 10 sec launch time but a 20, so peaple can leave/rejoin without

10 is the only scripted ''autostart'' time, you need to change the script if you want it to be 20.

Back to top Go down
Black_Op
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 16:05

nex_ wrote:
This is an acceptable solution.

wizzitje wrote:

10 is the only scripted ''autostart'' time, you need to change the script if you want it to be 20.
How is this a problem?
Back to top Go down
wizzitje
Captain
Captain

Awards :

x5

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 17:08

Black_Op wrote:
wizzitje wrote:

How is this a problem?

who said that it was/is a problem ;o?

Back to top Go down
Black_Op
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Tue 31 May - 20:05

My bad, I suppose I took that the wrong way. I read it in a, "well that requires work that we don't want to do", sort of way. Sorry
Back to top Go down
nex_
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 7665

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Wed 1 Jun - 10:49

I don't think there was an offense no worries.

Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Wed 1 Jun - 21:00

All and all (to wrap this up in a neat little package)...

What works stays: The theory being that when there aren't many players online, the games can still happen (even if it's few players). When more people are online (this includes admins, seeing as many of them are in their teens), there will be players present to change the autostart or abort the start while more from a previous game join.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
Black_Op
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   Thu 2 Jun - 1:35

I don't see how you concluded that. Most people agreed 4 is fine for auto start, which is it, but there were several other issues raised that were ignored. What was wrong with nex_'s solution?

It's still a miserable experience getting a good game together when an admin isn't on. Changing the auto start number (4) isn't the solution to fixing that, but there were other things suggested that would help a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: !autostart   

Back to top Go down

!autostart
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
jk2pach outpost :: Misc :: Barracks-
Jump to: