Kanashimi
loop.exe
LordSkyy
msolz
TheCrownClown
wizzitje
==
Help us to open new bots!
Click this link to check the advantages donators have.

Share | 

new approach to deal with noobs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Andx667
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Activity Points : 4655
Awards :

PostSubject: new approach to deal with noobs   Wed 4 May - 20:32

during the last weeks playing different maps on bnet i noticed once thing:

many players just ignore noobs, let them fail, they leave and the "pros" just stay or rmk.

no long teaching, no telling them things they should know from reading.

if the map is too hard for some ppl it just ist too hard. no need to change anything for noobs according to this approach.

what do you think about this?
Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Activity Points : 23593
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Wed 4 May - 21:23

We should attempt to help them, but if they are (for lack of better words) a 'lost cause', then there is nothing you can do for them.

If they keep rejoining and want to learn and are suffering difficulties, by all means stick to it and give 'em a hand.
There are the ones who wish not to learn or pretend they know everything, let 'em learn the hard way.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

Once bitten, twice.....zombie
The rset can be a toatl mses and you can slitl raed it whotiut pleborm. Tihs is bseacue the huamn mnid deos not raed eevry lteter by ilsetf, but the wrod as a wlohe.
-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Activity Points : 22433
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Wed 4 May - 22:10

There are 2 sides to that medal:

We need a pro to teach, and a new player WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO LEARN!!!!!

Most of the time the new players walk around, ask no questions and/or ignore what I type to help them. Add to that the risk of letting your hero die because you're trying to explain the current mission.

90% of the new players leave after dieing. Sometimes they spam "Revive me!" for a while and then they leave.

Terraria

Currently Doing:
Doing an Actionscript3 Textgame (Flash)

Still doing the above... But the last time I checked this site was gone... what happened?
Back to top Go down
J0E
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2541

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Wed 4 May - 23:21

Namorax wrote:
There are 2 sides to that medal:

We need a pro to teach, and a new player WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO LEARN!!!!!

Most of the time the new players walk around, ask no questions and/or ignore what I type to help them. Add to that the risk of letting your hero die because you're trying to explain the current mission.

90% of the new players leave after dieing. Sometimes they spam "Revive me!" for a while and then they leave.
LOL i remember this the guy,he would not stop saying revive me,but eveytime we say that there is a cooldown he kept writing revive me,people like this are hopless to teach trust me i have tried Sad
Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Wed 4 May - 23:52

Not the greatest attitudes Laughing , but I can agree it can be hard (especially if they want to make it difficult for you).
We have all been on both sides of the medal. So why not be the guy who is different, who doesn't give up on these people?
Heck, Specialawp learned to play Wink

We want people to like the game(s). We can be as awesome/amazing/pro as we want, but we are (for no reason) supposed to be 'elitist'.
It took me a while to learn this during my first break of adminship (back when I played 300BT).

I understand completely if you feel compelled to not be friendly with obvious codegenners/hackers/cheaters/etc. I can say I look down on these players, with great disappointment.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

The rset can be a toatl mses and you can slitl raed it whotiut pleborm. Tihs is bseacue the huamn mnid deos not raed eevry lteter by ilsetf, but the wrod as a wlohe.
-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 0:50

I do try to help new players. But during all that time, 9 from 10 players ignore me. I was also helped out when i started, and I really try to to the same with new players. But when 9 out of 10 players are douches... its hard to keep going. You just want to play with players who know what they're doing^^

Terraria

Currently Doing:

Still doing the above... But the last time I checked this site was gone... what happened?
Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 1:33

Namorax wrote:
I do try to help new players. But during all that time, 9 from 10 players ignore me. I was also helped out when i started, and I really try to to the same with new players. But when 9 out of 10 players are douches... its hard to keep going. You just want to play with players who know what they're doing^^

What usually helps, is if you give them a 'cookie'.
"Here take this deflection item, it will increase your attackspeed"
Newb: "Thnx how do find more ammo?"
"There are boxes which are on the ground, shoot them open and 'clips' will drop.
Newb: "Thnx again"

Newbs think they're being told what to do. They pretend they are their own player..and lets face it; 90% of the internet is full of people who watch way too many Japanese Cartoons and believe in their 'time of need', they will solo the game.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 1:43

Reality wrote:

What usually helps, is if you give them a 'cookie'.
"Here take this deflection item, it will increase your attackspeed"
Newb: "Thnx how do find more Where do I get ammo?"
"There are boxes which are on the ground, shoot them open and 'clips' will drop.
Newb: "Thnx again"

I tell the the goal of the moment and what the current task is. And if they dont like to do what they're told, should i say:
"Do NOT kill this uber dangerous creep. Get close to it and give it a hug!" ?

I will continue giving help and pointing out stuff to new players. But I'm not responsible if they just whine and/or dont listen.

Terraria

Currently Doing:

Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 1:47

Lol of course not, Namorax Smile. We're not their parents.
Just never give up trying to help them. If the current ones refuse to listen after a while, let 'em be (Unless they are interfering with the game negatively).

I get so 'mayud' when they walk into my mines after, "Mine here, avoid it" or "explosives here". Gotta tell 'em what happened and if they want to cuss and shout, there's the !mute cmd.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 2:02

Everytime they leave after i spent all that time helping them... they take a little bit of my soul with them. Crying or Very sad

Terraria

Currently Doing:

Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 3:04

Namorax wrote:
Everytime they leave after i spent all that time helping them... they take a little bit of my soul with them. Crying or Very sad
If this were facebook, I'd have clicked the 'like' button.

Every time you aren't successful, consider it not failure. See it as opportunity.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 3:35

There's a "+Rep" Button Very Happy

And what opportunity is there?

Terraria

Currently Doing:

Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 4:23

Namorax wrote:
There's a "+Rep" Button Very Happy

And what opportunity is there?

You have gained the opportunity to try again & to try a new strategy of getting to newer players Smile

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
monkeh
Colonel
Colonel

Activity Points : 13751
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 4:33

Well since no one reads the wisps or the -help maybe we should just get rid of them altogether and go back to basics. I would first find out who's eager to learn and help them out. Or simplify the process easier instead of -help (looks at list) then type it again -help SO or whatever. Maybe we should generalize the -help or come up with a video tutorial for the forums (winner gets a medal)

For those newbies who just wander the map and not participate in missions (its their loss and we shouldn't bother). I always try to encourage them to join the forums or clan. If they join the forums they can just participate in the community or pm myself or any other admins if they had any further questions. And maybe you should start doing more Tips of the Day for Clan RRTF (uncertain whether VV and other shamans are.) Also if its possible maybe we can add tips within the trivia bot (again uncertain if there is or not).
Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 5:31

monkeh wrote:
Well since no one reads the wisps or the -help maybe we should just get rid of them altogether and go back to basics. I would first find out who's eager to learn and help them out. Or simplify the process easier instead of -help (looks at list) then type it again -help SO or whatever. Maybe we should generalize the -help or come up with a video tutorial for the forums (winner gets a medal)

For those newbies who just wander the map and not participate in missions (its their loss and we shouldn't bother). I always try to encourage them to join the forums or clan. If they join the forums they can just participate in the community or pm myself or any other admins if they had any further questions. And maybe you should start doing more Tips of the Day for Clan RRTF (uncertain whether VV and other shamans are.) Also if its possible maybe we can add tips within the trivia bot (again uncertain if there is or not).

Pach wants people to click on shiny buttons on the website. (if you've read the clan message)

I'll probably ...eventually change it. I don't think many people even read 'blue letters' once joining clan channels anymore.

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
monkeh
Colonel
Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 7:41

Is there a trivia bot?!> cause if not im wiling to give you ugys my cd keys if you need em or diablo cd keys or starcraft cd keys.
Back to top Go down
PrimalEmotions
Private

Activity Points : 2525

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 9:22

I want you to know..
The wisp is a nice idea..
But they can't click it and read it, because they don't have the time.
Sadly.. reading takes time. Sad
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Thu 5 May - 15:10

And i get the impression they move too fast for them. Most of the time i see a whisp at the mission site, and the players is walking somewhere else (or is still on his way).

Terraria

Currently Doing:

Back to top Go down
monkeh
Colonel
Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Fri 6 May - 0:28

PrimalEmotions wrote:
I want you to know..
The wisp is a nice idea..
But they can't click it and read it, because they don't have the time.
Sadly.. reading takes time. Sad

Namorax wrote:
And i get the impression they move too fast for them. Most of the time i see a whisp at the mission site, and the players is walking somewhere else (or is still on his way).

Well how about adding -help at the top of the whisp. Also maybe its time to implement the compass idea i suggested a while back. Maybe it will help the newcomers get to the mission instead of wisps? I wish i had more data from the newbs. We should start handing out surveys :-p
Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Fri 6 May - 0:45

Lol, tell ya what Monkeh;

You dig up this company (From how many inches under the ground it is) and we'll consider your ideas flawless Smile (lol joke)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Seriously though, the wisps aren't doing their job at all.
They usually just follow me around, really :S
When there is no exact destination, they just go where the new players go.

I think the wisps should move about -20 movement speed of an 'unmedaled' Biologist or Security Officer. This way the player can actually follow the wisp and learn from it. They know what to follow and they can grasp what its true purpose is (Although, this is an opinion from my point).

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
monkeh
Colonel
Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Fri 6 May - 0:52

vV_O wrote:
Lol, tell ya what Monkeh;

You dig up this company (From how many inches under the ground it is) and we'll consider your ideas flawless Smile (lol joke)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Seriously though, the wisps aren't doing their job at all.
They usually just follow me around, really :S
When there is no exact destination, they just go where the new players go.

I think the wisps should move about -20 movement speed of an 'unmedaled' Biologist or Security Officer. This way the player can actually follow the wisp and learn from it. They know what to follow and they can grasp what its true purpose is (Although, this is an opinion from my point).

oooh look who got JOKES!!! you're so funny VV what would I do without you and warlock to harass me all the time.

Is there anyway to gather like a bunch of newbs put them in on game and use them as test dummies? lol We need to think what would a newb do?
Back to top Go down
vV_O
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Fri 6 May - 0:54

...lol you just set yourself up, Monkeh.

Care to be our subject? Laughing

WHO WAN'S THIS DAWG!?

-END TRANSMISSION-
Back to top Go down
monkeh
Colonel
Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Fri 6 May - 0:56

We need to bait them be like join clan RRTF and be a test dummy for 10 dollars!
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Fri 6 May - 1:32

And you pay them the 10$? In bananas or what?

Terraria

Currently Doing:

Back to top Go down
monkeh
Colonel
Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   Fri 6 May - 1:48

hey we don't have to pay them. we can just put that out there as bait. false advertisement isn't a crime on WC :p
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new approach to deal with noobs   

Back to top Go down

new approach to deal with noobs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next