Kanashimi
loop.exe
LordSkyy
msolz
TheCrownClown
wizzitje
==
Help us to open new bots!
Click this link to check the advantages donators have.

Share | 

Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freelancer_Ryko
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 2692

PostSubject: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Wed 20 Apr - 15:50

-------Wasn't sure if This was the right place to put it. Killwinter said put it here, so here it is.-------

Designated Marksman

PROS:
Best long-range in game.
Very good at taking the point (Covering a teammate/being ahead of the rest of the team).
Starting a perimeter, line of site.
Very effective in Umbrella mode. Can dispatch Umbrella squads in seconds.
Extremely good at picking off weak targets that are in groups, given the right spot and range.

CONS:
No rifle-butting.
Slow-attack speed.
Can be overwhelmed by; Umbrella Squads or a pack of zombies if too close.
Not a good crowd-control out of the rest of the MOS'.

Basic Skill Decision: Umbrella Mode:

You want as much range away from your target as you can. The lack of attack-speed is made up in range. The further you are, the better.

Level 1 Skill.
I would choose Marksmanship as my first skill in Level 1. With this, I can now have visual around me and set up a perimeter around what I want to camp at.

Marksmanship level 1:
Binoculars is 900 radius sight over 11 seconds and 9 mana is required.
Field Camera stays in a certain place for 280 seconds that gives sight and 35 mana is required.
500 range added onto base range (2300 + 500 = 2800) and 8% more attack speed with each level which stacks.

E.g.
1 field camera west side of North Hill, 1 field camera South-West at the intersection where the police outpost is, 1 field camera South on the ledge close to the small lake path and 1 on the East side at the East-South intersection. With most of the sides are now in view, the Designated Marksman is a dangerous foe.

Hint: The Designated Marksman will be moving a lot to keep replacing 4 field cameras. So as soon as you finished the last field camera, start over again. Watch your mana and the timed-life of the camera. Time it correctly and you won't have to worry about carrying batteries or an Energy-Generator.

Level 2 Skill.
I usually go Special Combat Training because it always for a quicker reload, less seconds for unjamming and can take out a single Umbrella in less than 3 hits(without critical and miss). Designated Marksman can be easily taken out when it is reloading or the gun is jammed in close-range. Though choosing Monomolecular Wire Shot is another good choice for skill 2 because it can take out weak enemies that are going in a line formation. It just depends if you're going to roam before strategizing an area camp.

Special Combat Training 1:
15 bonus damage.
5 extra HP.
Reduce reloading time .6 of a second.
Reduce unjam time .15 of a second.

MWS 1:
1000 damage. 3 second stun time. 32 mana required.

Hint: Monomolecular Wire Shot can hurt allies. It is invisible and it runs down in a line. The damage is different depending on the level.

Level 3 Skill.
You should get Marksmanship level 2, to increase Binocular radius sight, suppressor ability, 500 range added onto 2800 and 8% added attack-speed.

900 + 250 = 1150 radius range of Binoculars over 11 seconds and 8 mana is required.
2800 + 500 = 3300 attack-range.
8 + 8 = 12% extra attack-speed.

Tip: I would never use Suppressor in any situation. I find it useless in Umbrella mode.

Level 4 Skill.
This is where I would go Special Combat Training if I have not in the second skill choice, because there would not be any strong enemies near the start of game with enough HP to die above two MWS'. If I had already chosen Special Combat Training, I would continue in it anyways or choose MWS.

Level 5 Skill.
Get Marksmanship level 3 to increase range attack, binocular radius sight even further and 8% attack-speed. Marksmanship is now at its maxed level.

1150 + 250 = 1400 range sight from Binoculars over 11 seconds and 7 mana is required.
3300 + 500 = 3800 attack-range.
12 + 8 = 20% extra attack-speed.

Level 6 Skill.
Increase Special Combat Training to max level before going onto Critical Shot.

30/45/60/75 bonus damage.
10/15/20/25 extra HP.
Reduce loading time .12/.18/.24/.30 of a second.
Reduce unjamming time .30/.45/.60/.75 of a second.

Level 8 Skill.
I would just go all the way to max Critical Shot and don't bother with Rapid Fire, since it would be a dangerous tactic using Rapid Fire in the open and having to reload.

Critical Shot level 1: 10% chance to do 1.5 times normal damage.
Critical Shot level 2: 15% chance to do 2 times normal damage.
Critical Shot level 3: 20% chance to do 2.5 times normal damage.
Critical Shot level 4: 25% chance to do 3 times normal damage.
Critical Shot level 5: 30% chance to do 3.5 times normal damage.
Critical Shot level 6: 30% chance to do 4 times normal damage.
Critical Shot level 7: 35% chance to do 4.5 times normal damage.
Critical Shot level 8: 35% chance to do 5 times normal damage.

Level 17 Skill.
Get MWS to maxed level to help against Pudges, Tanks, Helicopters or squads.

MWS level 2: 1400 damage 4 second stun time. 31 mana is required.
MWS level 3: 1800 damage. 5 second stun time. 31 mana is required.
MWS level 4: 2200 damage. 6 second stun time. 30 mana is required.
MWS level 5: 2600 damage. 7 second stun time. 30 mana is required.

Level 22 Skill.
The last ability that hasn't been maxed yet is Rapid Fire. I leave this for last because Rapid Fire has disadvantages and advantages. In my opinion, there's more down side to it so I leave this to last.

Rapid Fire level 1: 65% increase attack-speed, 65% reduced movement speed for 6 seconds. 18 mana required.
Rapid Fire level 2: 130% increase attack-speed, 130% reduced movement speed for 6 seconds. 18 mana required.
Rapid Fire level 3: 195% increase attack-speed, 195% reduced movement speed for 7 seconds. 18 mana required.

With Rapid Fire maxed you can now use Opportuned Shot. You take every shot you can but have to recover from recoil. Personally, I don't see the difference when I'm holding PTR and APR. Just a fast 1, 2 shot then a pause then back to normal attack-speed. This is then repeated over and over so in my opinion, there is no disadvantage in it.

All maxed abilities = Level 25 Designated Marksman.

Cooldown Time:
Rapid Fire: No cooldown time.
Field Camera: 40 seconds.
Binoculars: 10 seconds.
Monomolecular Wire Shot: 10 seconds.

Zombie Modes:
Designated Marksman isn't the best MOS to be used in zombies modes. It doesn't have rifle-butting and it lacks attack-speed in early stages of the game making it a very vulnerable class. I would advise not to pick Designated Marksman in zombie modes.

Items For Designated Marksman:
In early stages of game, Aim Assist is a good item, since it gives 15% attack-speed and an extra 9 damage. The next item to look for is PTR-5(Precise-Targeting-Rifle). It gives a 35% attack-speed and 20 damage. The last recommended item is APR(Armour/Armor Piercing Rounds). It gives the Designated Marksman 80 extra damage.
Note: the Aim Assist should be given to another play after finding the PTR because you don't want to be an item-hog now, do you? Also because PTR and APR is enough and AA becomes less useful when you pick up PTR.

Other useful tips:
Max Critical Shot and max Rapid Fire is a good combination.

Shooting Flamethrower Umbrella members to activate their plasma shield and keep them still, while you pick off the Navy Corpsman going to heal the Flamethrowers. This allows you to have the squad stationary while you kill the Navy Corpsman running.

Flaring a squad/zombies with a flare gun then using MWS to finish it off then pick off the rest with a few rounds.

Activating Rapid Fire ability and when enemies are too close, use Lift Boots to escape danger.

-=If there is any mistakes and feedback please don't hesitate to comment. c:=-
Back to top Go down
KillWinter
Private First class
Private First class

Activity Points : 2556

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Thu 21 Apr - 7:40

Very Happy

this is a good tut, and it's in the right area, one tip though, i'd add in about completely avoiding getting the rapid firing skill, as dm is mostly used in umb games and in umb if you're standing still for too long you're an assman target Very Happy

also, i usually get, marksman skill, then mws, and then 1 level of gun training and then max crits, makes you a one shot one kill machine Very Happy but that's entirely a point of preference and you're a much better sniper than i am.

another tip, i only ever get 1 level of mws as just one level is enough to kill umb, and you can't target tanks or choppers. it's somewhat useful for pudge, but yu do enough damage on your own for that. Very Happy

THANKS FOR WRITING THIS! Razz
Back to top Go down
Freelancer_Ryko
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Thu 21 Apr - 8:14

Yea, i said that rapid fire should be left last to max out, that Marksmanship should be the first to be maxed and that there wouldn't be many strong enemies with the hp to survive two hits from a level one MWS. I haven't tried MWS against choppers or tanks yet. I just thought that it'll still damage it. I'm gonna see if I can confirm that.

Edit note: Doesn't work against choppers.

-=Thanks for replying. c:=-
Back to top Go down
jk2pach
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Activity Points : 30688

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Thu 21 Apr - 11:51

Welcome here. You get my rep point for your first post as tutorial Wink

Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Thu 21 Apr - 11:56

Thanks. Killwinter actually bugged me to make one, 'cause he's seen too many noobish DMs in-game not really doing their job and that I'm a decent one. So thank him too. ^_^
Back to top Go down
jk2pach
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Activity Points : 30688

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Thu 21 Apr - 11:59

Still. I'm a huge fan of Freelancer Smile

Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Thu 21 Apr - 12:11

Ahaha, does that mean I get more reps? Yea, nah, never played Freelancer before but i've seen it. It has some good graphics and gameplay in my opinion. FYI downloading the demo right now. It never crossed my mind until now. Razz
Back to top Go down
Brickwall
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2518

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Fri 22 Apr - 14:48

I on the other hand max wireshot last. One lvl wireshot is enough to handle umb soldiers. With rapid fire you easily clear out huge patrols of umb soldiers if you got sight. Assman rockets is not a problem, just dodge it. ION is a bit of a problem though. I do not think I can dodge it if I hit rapid fire at the same time or later than when they aim ion cannon. Lifts should work as a counter though. I have not tried it.

I think I do lvl 5 (or 4?) crit, then max rapid fire, then max crit and lastly max wireshot.

edit: In zombie mode wireshot would be maxed asap.

Last edited by Brickwall on Fri 22 Apr - 15:00; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hammett_4
Corporal
Corporal

Activity Points : 2972

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Fri 22 Apr - 14:55

what u say is for umb. that was a general idea of DM. However DM is good only for umb and survival.So i think wirseshot is best for survival as after minerva u get multiple artemis. it gives great help over there
Back to top Go down
Freelancer_Ryko
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Fri 22 Apr - 16:56

Yes, I didn't put much advise about DM in zombie modes because there are other.. types of MOS' that is better suited for that type of gameplay.

@Brickwall: Yes you can clear out a good patrol with rapid fire(and critical shot ability). But these days, do you ever see a DM successfully dodge an assman attack while in Rapid Fire? Maybe you could when you see a pro play, but This guide/tutorial is for new guys wanting to experience what's it like playing as DM. Thus the name; Tutorial/Guide. As I stated above, level 1 MWS is good enough in Umb mode since their wouldn't be any buff guys with enough HP to survive 2 level 1 MWS.

Also, how will you be able to see the umbs coming without Marksmanship? Also the range would be only 2300 without Marksmanship. It just depends on which way you're going in terms of deciding skills. If I had to follow what you're trying to say, I would Choose Marksmanship (1) as first priority, rapid fire (1), Marksmanship (2),Critical Shot (1), Marksmanship (3), then just go all out with Rapid Fire and Critical Shot. The extra 60 damage buff from Special Combat Training isn't as better has as Rapid Fire + Critical Shot.

@Hammett_4: I agree, MWS is a must if you're going to play DM in Zombie mode. But DM is at its best in Umb, thus I only made info about Umb mode more than zombie mode because this is a guide to help new guys wanting to know what's it like playing as a DM and what's it good at doing and weaknesses. Pro players can go through zombie modes easier than others because they're more experienced. If I wanted to make a guide on how to play pro, I would.. But you see I'm not pro. Just an average DM out there giving a little help when needed.

-=Thanks for replying. c:=-

Edit note: @Brickwall: It all depends on your type of gameplay. I don't usually like standing around with Rapid Fire on. I like to be maneuverable, always on the move. In the end, it's about how you want to play. Mix things up a little.. Or a lot.
Back to top Go down
Brickwall
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Activity Points : 2518

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Sat 23 Apr - 10:24

Freelancer_Ryko wrote:

Also, how will you be able to see the umbs coming without Marksmanship? Also the range would be only 2300 without Marksmanship. It just depends on which way you're going in terms of deciding skills.
You misunderstand(I was being unclear). I rearranged your end lvl. You do crit lvl 1-8. At that time I do crit lvl 1-5 then switch to rapid fire.

Good guide. And I explicitly said "I on the other hand". I did not mean for you to change yours.
Back to top Go down
Freelancer_Ryko
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   Sat 23 Apr - 11:56

Ah, I get you now. Like I said in my edit note, in the end it's about how you want to play and how you plan to use your skills at your disposal. Thanks for clearing things up. (Hope to see you in UA2 sometime and play a bit of Competitive ^_^).

-=Thanks for replying c:=-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide   

Back to top Go down

Designated Marksman Tutorial/Guide
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1