Kanashimi
loop.exe
LordSkyy
msolz
TheCrownClown
wizzitje
==
Help us to open new bots!
Click this link to check the advantages donators have.

Share | 

"Idea for Mode" and "Problem of all Modes"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Activity Points : 22818
Awards :

PostSubject: "Idea for Mode" and "Problem of all Modes"   Thu 23 Dec - 20:58

Just something that I thought of. Its something like an advanced DM with special rules.

The Retirement Game:
The Retirement Game::

Of course, the problem with modes is:

XP>Everything else>Fun

Last Stand is not picked because it offers a challenge, but because the XP are "good". Maybe its because the RC Class system is too rank dependant.
You have any ideas how to stop/counter that?

Are there solutions

Terraria

Currently Doing:
Doing an Actionscript3 Textgame (Flash)

Still doing the above... But the last time I checked this site was gone... what happened?
Back to top Go down
xxxlord
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Activity Points : 5139
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: "Idea for Mode" and "Problem of all Modes"   Fri 24 Dec - 4:16

Namorax wrote:
Just something that I thought of. Its something like an advanced DM with special rules.

The Retirement Game:
The Retirement Game:

Of course, the problem with modes is:

XP>Everything else>Fun

Last Stand is not picked because it offers a challenge, but because the XP are "good". Maybe its because the RC Class system is too rank dependant.
You have any ideas how to stop/counter that?

Are there solutions

There is no real way to counter the need for EXP, RC goes for a variety of classes to pick from 42 if im not mistaken vs maps like NOTD:AM which have 12 and UA2 which have 14-15 i believe it is. So there really is no way to counter this people will always want to exp "whore" Pach would have to revamp the entire map to get around this and i don't see that happening. As for TDA it will still have a lot of variety and it will still make people strive for wanting to rank up.

In the end the reason people want to get exp is up to them and how long they're attention spand is such as im a major and i haven't been really caring about ranking up your looking at the guy that got to LTGen in NOTD:AM before most people we're major's in the game. However that was when i was much younger and wanted to be the cool kid by having a high rank anyways, so my point is no matter what the dependence on EXP no matter what will be the choice of the player. True it is up to the map maker if he wants the map harder or funner however there is a limit to what pach can do.

There will always be an exp element required to make people strive to play the game more the reason people keep playing the game is because of all the classes you can unlock. I believe thats what killed NOTD:AM lack of variety after the rank of captain. it didn't offer much outside of some crappy things in the veterans skill book which wasn't even worth the time of unlocking. So like i said 2-3 times before i do not think we should change the current system.

As for your mode i do not like the idea of loosing exp it could have glitches etc. and people could just reload they're exp if they loose more then they gain and i dislike the entire idea of the mode as well. But those are just my thoughts
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: "Idea for Mode" and "Problem of all Modes"   Fri 24 Dec - 4:33

The XP gained are depending on the amount of points you get. At the end of the game, if you've lost really bad, then just dont save?
This was supposed to be primarily a Fun Mod.
Last Stand only became the XP-Mode because jk misunderstood and gave the XP bonus to every Project and Evolved Creep (instead of choosing a single random one evry few mins).

Back to the XP mongering: what could jk change? RPGs can urge players to continue playing beause they want to get the "best" items for their class. This is not possible with RC since there are no items to save. Another thing might be to make the XP secondary, or rate the "performance" of the players.

I think the main probelm is also that after reaching a certain amount of XP, there is no more motivation to continue playing. If you play only to become the highest rank, why continue?

Terraria

Currently Doing:

Still doing the above... But the last time I checked this site was gone... what happened?
Back to top Go down
xxxlord
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Activity Points : 5139
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: "Idea for Mode" and "Problem of all Modes"   Fri 24 Dec - 5:30

If you play till you get to the highest rank you get to, 400k which i consider the highest rank because thats the last class you get. Now factor in people with lives such not as much me i don't have too much of a life but i got other shit i gotta take care of. However people like vV (No offense intended vV) who have even less to do then i do get the rank in 1-3 months of playing but the average player takes prolly some where between 2-5 months of playing or more. There for that is quite a bit of time to play one map on WC3 is it not namorax? There for with TDA coming out within 2-4 months we shall have a new map to play with all kinds of varieties of skills weapons and drivable vehicles. There for RC601 is fine the way it is now and i highly doubt pach will make any more big changes to the map because of its file size. In all honesty i'm tired of watching you bitch and moan about one thing or another namorax be happy with what you got man. (Not trying to be mean but your constant badgering and hounding over one thing or another irritates me namorax.)
Back to top Go down
monkeh
Colonel
Colonel

Activity Points : 14136
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: "Idea for Mode" and "Problem of all Modes"   Fri 24 Dec - 21:08

I have to agree with xxxlord on this. There is no need to make big changes yet since pach is working on his thesis and the new map. You're more than welcome to edit it on your own map that you're creating Very Happy Besides I rarely see people play TDM or DM
Back to top Go down
Namorax
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: "Idea for Mode" and "Problem of all Modes"   Sat 25 Dec - 0:13

I dont want to say: "Make big Changes, slave!!", I just want to know what could be done against it. I never said jk should do whatever is said here. >.>
Merry Christmas, btw.

Terraria

Currently Doing:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Idea for Mode" and "Problem of all Modes"   

Back to top Go down

"Idea for Mode" and "Problem of all Modes"
Page 1 of 1